In this episode, I interview Becca McConville, a Registered Dietician, Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics, and Certified Eating Disorders Registered Dietician who has a health first, performance second approach to helping athletes optimize their performance.
Becca shares her experience with athletes in regard to Relative Energy Deficiency in Sport (RED-S) along with her own personal experience and why it's important to adjust calorie intake in accordance with energy expenditure to avoid fatigue, illness, and stress fractures.
A few of the topics discussed:
- Why you can't always see fitness
- Why having a little higher BMI isn't a bad thing
- Why being driven can be destructive
- Wearable technology for the everyday athlete (you can't take the human out of the athlete)
- Nutrient testing and recommendations
Find Becca's book, Finding Your Sweet Spot: How to Avoid RED-S (Relative Energy Deficit in Sport) by Optimizing Your Energy Balance on Amazon or at Beccamcconville.com.
What were your key takeaways from this interview? I'd love to hear about it in the comments below.